Thursday, April 11, 2013

4/10/13, America, Maryland, Erika's Apartment, 4:47 A.M.

When Ellen takes her hand off mine, I know it's time to go. The living room floorboards creak beneath her feet as she sits up on the edge of the couch. In the bedroom, Hunter's heavy breathing is muffled by Erika's sheets as she gets ready to drive us to the airport. I watch their silhouettes pace pass each other in the dark before moving. The ache in my temples tell me I drank too much just hours before as I reach for my boots in the dark. Ellen must hear me and turns on a light. The blue room lights up with books, backpacks, and meticulously assorted nicknacks. Dry sweat makes my clothes contour to me a little too closely. The smell makes me sorry for Ellen. My laces pull the leather tight against my feet.

Soon, Ellen and I are circling each other in Erika's tiny pink bathroom for a chance at the sink. After rinsing, I grab Ellen by the waist before she goes, kiss her on the forehead, tell her I love her. She smiles as she says we need to go soon. She's beautiful and walks out.

No one speaks. The smell of bitter wet dirt fills the apartment from the kitchen. Hunter is now up, lumbering around Ellen and I as we check our packs in the living room. He has work in a few hours but wanted to see us off after I invited him out with us on Tuesday. Erika told me earlier she wondered why he came over. He usually stays at his place onTuesday night because of how long of a day he has on Wednesday she said. I start to feel sorry again hearing him excitedly tell Erika to hurry up or we'll miss our flight. Erika hands me a cup of coffee as we walk out the door.

2 comments: