Thursday, April 18, 2013

4/10/13, America, Maryland, Dulles Airport, 6:07 A.M.


We arrive sooner than expected. From 100 to 95, I checked my email on my iPhone 5, then Facebook as we got on 495. By 66 I was staring out the window. The girls sat up front, chatting. Ellen would occasionally look back at me to see if I had been paying attention to some remark that was made. I keep from embarrassing myself most of the time by not asking what, smiling instead as if I couldn’t help but agree. At the terminal, Erika hugs us both then drives off.

The steel counters and columns reinforce the mechanical process of boarding our flight. Most of the people I say hello to give only one-word responses. Some do nothing at all. Ellen and I stay close. She asks if I have my boarding pass before and after every security check until we’re on the plane. I’d be mad, but I can’t blame her. Before checking our bags, I admit to losing the identification tag she had made for me the day before. I don’t tell her I remember having it in my hand before leaving Erika’s. Eventually I find it in my wallet when buying a cup of coffee near the gate.

I text message Erika to see if she made it home all right moments before boarding. She went to a Starbucks near her place to get some work done, not wanting to wake Hunter again.

No comments:

Post a Comment